My Lutheran Faith

Eric - St. Louis, Missouri

I have been raised as a Lutheran. Being a Lutheran means I am a Christian. I was brought up in a Lutheran grade school where we were taught stories of the bible. We were also expected to learn and recite bible verses. Going to a Catholic school makes it is obvious that the Catholic teaching must emphasize on other things than bible stories and verses because most of the students are not too familiar with them. The belief of my religion is very much the same as Catholicism. The biggest difference in our religion is that we take everything from the bible as the truth and do not believe anything that has been assumed by others. Catholics believe that Mary is holy because she gave birth to Jesus. As Lutherans, we believe that she is just a human that a miracle was worked through. Growing up in a Lutheran Church, the services were pretty much like a traditional service. We would sing, talk about the gospel and take communion. The main belief of a Lutheran is that all we have to do is believe in God and do our best to live by him to enter the Kingdom of heaven. A verse that is well known in the Lutheran community that sums this belief up is John 3:16,”For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so that whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.” I am a strong believer in my religion because it makes sense to me and teaches me how to live my life so I too may one day go to heaven.