Never Give Up

Heather - Newark, Ohio
Themes: equality, work

I would leave everyday in tears and nobody even cared to ask if I was okay. I started my second job ever in February of this year at Captain D’s on 21st street. My friend and I had both gotten the job and we were so excited about working there. The first couple days were just orientations, training, and filling out a numerous amount of paper work. Everything seemed to be going well; little did I know it would only get worse from there on.

The people seemed nice but not overly excited about this job and I wondered why. I was having fun. I started frequently working with a girl named holly. She had just graduated high school and was about 2 years older than me, but acted ten times better than I. I noticed her beginning to be really rude to me, calling me names, bossing me around, and even screaming at me. I was very soon not happy with this job. I left crying because of the things she would say to me. I knew that this wasn’t allowed and I thought I should let the manager know.

The next day I told him what had been going on, he kind of blew it off like it didn’t even matter. I then told a different manager who seemed kind of interested in the problem. Weeks went by and nothing happened she was only getting worse. I never did anything to her, she just hated me. I had thought about quitting the week after, I was ready to put my two weeks notice in and the managers knew. I was upset because I didn’t want to quit but what holly was doing is just wrong.

The next day I went into work dreading it all, to find out that Holly had been fired. I was really happy that someone had actually listened to me. Nobody should ever be treated unfairly, especially at work. Since that day I have never been treated unfairly by them again and neither has anyone else. I’ve been working there for 7 months now and very proud of it.