Multifaceted Perspective

Jonathon - Fayetteville, New York

I believe in multifaceted consideration. I believe that everything someone says should be heard. I believe it is precious, and worth reflection.

There are many things a person can say. I can say it was cold last weekend, my shoe doesn’t fit anymore, I’m standing upside down right now. Which one would you not believe? The tendency is that when a person says something that doesn’t make sense, or that is obviously not true, one would automatically reject the idea.

We as a people naturally do that, because we have learned otherwise, by professionals, by scientists and evidence and reason. Why listen to one person, a stranger, when he obviously seems out of his mind? Maybe one shouldn’t; probably he is wrong, but for the sake of humanity, and history, for at least one second we should consider the fact that he is right, because maybe in the end we’re the crazy ones.

Occasionally crazy things people say turn out to be right. For instance: when Galileo, a now well-respected scientific figure, unveiled his revolutionary theories no one believed him. He was thought a lunatic and placed under house arrest— go figure.

All this means is that if a hobo runs up to you on the street screaming the world is about to end— just think about it. I’m not saying you have to tell that person, “Hey man, I’m right there with you”. These are beliefs and beliefs are personal. You have to power to think, to weigh the odds, and to choose the option that you side with the most. For example: It’s a nice sunny day, people are out, my horoscope was all good, and I do not think the world will end.

It’s especially difficult when more than one person are trying to convince you of a specific matter. The same principles apply, but give each choice a thought; you might disagree with both.

Sometimes when I find myself having a constructive discussion with someone else, such as my mom, I might bring up an argument that I don’t even really believe in but I heard from someone else, like a cousin. After that I might go to another person, maybe a friend, with the ideas that my mom just gave me and argue for those. This is just exploring the different viewpoints that different people hold.

In conclusion, multifaceted perspective opens up a whole new level of understanding and is a right of all beings. This I believe.