The hidden good of America

Brian - Fayetteville, New York

I believe that we live in a great country, but we do not see enough of the greatness it has in store.

We live in a country where I can go to the store a buy a premade dinner. I can sit on a computer an order a hundred pairs of shoes, I don’t know why I would do that, but the fact that I could shows that we are doing alright in more ways then one. We can, for the most part, find a job that will pay without working 12 hours a day in really bad conditions. We have the freedom to see new sites, places, and people everyday. This country is filled with thousands of good people that are spread throughout. Yet we tend to focus on what we don’t have, and what bad there is in the country.

Yes, I know we do have problems, and by no means am I saying we should ignore or forget those problems. But when I turn on the news, I hear there is a town plagued by foreclosures and hurting from the economy. Although not ignoring those towns, we need to highlight some places and situations that would show that this is a problem that can be fixed. I don’t want to constantly hear consumer product prices are going to sky rocket. To hear that does not help us the consumers, but rather makes us more worried.

The key to fixing our problems is not worrying but having confidence. These problems will fix with time, but confidence can make this time of healing accelerate. What some people is say that we are doomed for recession and high gas prices, yet often, the exact opposite happens, for what’s predicted. We don’t really need to hear that spiraling down an unfixable tunnel every other day. What I want everyone to hear and realize is that we are in a country that 40 years ago did not even let whites and blacks drink from the same fountain. At the time is seemed to be an issue without an end and no solution. Yet now we have elected a black president, all tough not everyone wants him to become president, we can still be happy that we’ve made it this far in civil rights and equality.

Every day great things happen in this country. People perform acts of heroism, medical miracles, and just do good things. Yet what we see everyday is how much there is to be worried about, and not about how much there is to be happy about. I believe we need to see a more equal distribution of news that can help us keep our faith in fixing these issues.

The key to finding the solution is seeing hope, and the news is our connection to the world, if they can provide us with signs of hope, we can have the ambition to keep going.