Faith In Life

Heather - Fort Wayne, Indiana

Faith In Life

I believe that faith and purpose is what gets you through life, not money, friendships, or other items that appears to be more important. What is the point of life if there is no purpose or faith? I think that living by faith and God gives that sense of purpose. Everything happens for a reason and sometimes it is not fully understood why but that is what faith is for. Going through life with no real sense of purpose or faith in knowing that there is a plan for you is really no life at all.

I was raised in a Christian environment, went to church every Sunday, was taught right from wrong, show compassion for others, all the things that I was supposed to do. Then middle school came and everything just seemed to be a downhill of events. That’s when I started losing a bit of my faith and question my purpose of being there. I was self-centered, selfish, and short-tempered, I was pushing people I cared about away. I lied to everyone and manipulated my way out of things. Constant battles with friendships were common in my life and usually my fault. I blamed my issues on God and everyone around me. I still went to church with my family but I put up a front. I really didn’t care one way or another about church and what I should be learning. I didn’t think there was a purpose so why even bother. I had really manipulated everyone at that point. It was an internal battle with myself and with God. I knew God existed but I just ignored that. That is how it went on. When I was fifteen, I started to get a little bit of my faith back. That summer, I was baptized and recommitted myself. Then the following summer is what changed my life and my belief. I went on a mission’s trip to New York with a group of people from the youth group I didn’t really know and I was hesitant about it. Of course, a bus breaks down and we are stuck at a Steak N Shake for several hours. Without realizing it at the time, it was a blessing in disguise. I got to know people and it eased the feeling of doubt. We finally made it to New York and I found out that we were going to be helping at a nursing home. My thought was I do not want to be around that. But I still went anyways. After hearing stories and talking to the people, I saw what I had been missing earlier. After all those hardships those people went through, they still had their faith in God and still knew there was a purpose. I went home with a different perspective on my faith in God. I still struggled with it through high school but I never hit the all-time low I did back in middle school.