Respect

Michael - North Pole, Alaska
Themes: respect

Respect is a quality characteristic in someone, because one must learn that if they want to be respected, they must first show respect. I believe respect should be shown by everyone, because it isn’t just a way to be friendly with others; it is used to show the maturity of them. Respect showed it’s importance in my life after a former basketball coach of mine told me if I wanted to be respected by other basketball players, I must first show them I respect them. Coach Johnson has also shown me that respect is just as important to me as it is to other people, meaning they will understand where it is I am coming from.

I believe many people do not understand the true meaning of respect, leading to rude behavior and treatment of others. One way to show people the importance of respect is by showing what they will receive from it. Showing people how important respect is is the true example of learning the meaning. The best way to learn is by example, and to see the outcomes of the decisions we all make. If the world would treat each other respectfully, no one would feel as if they do not belong in society, and will have more confidence in their decision making skills.

Respect can be a valuable lesson, for all the people involved. Learning respect is guaranteed tickets to being accepted by your peers. Also, being respectful means you must accept other people and their personal preferences in life. Once respect is learned, nobody is incapable of forgetting. Remembering to be respectful will always increase personal confidence and will show maturity in yourself. No matter who tells you how respect works, just remember respect must be given before earned.