Living in own mean

Chiyoko - Marion, Arkansas

I believe in living in own mean.

When we purchased the first home together as a couple, we stretched ourselves a little bit. It was a beautiful and very large home. Then 2 years later, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I worked through the treatment including chemotherapy, because we needed two incomes to pay the mortgage.

The lesson learned. When we moved, we downsized by over 1000 square foot and attained a modest home. We wanted have a home we can maintain with one income, even if something happened to either one of us. This year, we moved again for my husband’s job, and got a home with the same criteria. We downsized even a little more. Thanks to my husband’s hard work, we are living in a nice and comfortable home, even though I am no longer working with 3rd time recurrence and metastasis of the cancer. We have been prioritizing what we want and paying off credit card bills every month.

This holiday season, there are many people worrying about if they can afford presents for kids. How about a deck of card, Domino, Uno or other simple games? And make sure you play the game with kids. I guarantee that kids will soon forget the disappointment of the fact they did not get the presents on their lists. At the same time, you give children an important lesson of living in own mean, as well as a gift of the truth that you don’t have to spend a lot of money to have a good time. And believe me, the time spent with loved ones and its memory are the best presents of all. I know it, because my family may not have it for a long, and my child will not have the video game on his list when he becomes 20, but he will remember the good time we had together.