Joys of Volunteering

Veronica - El Paso, Texas

Volunteering is one of the best gifts in life. I believe volunteering can bring many joys in life. Volunteering makes a difference in the world, forms relationships, helps, and make things happen.

My mother has always been a volunteer all her life. When younger, she volunteered in hospitals and still continues at church. About 5 years ago, my mother would sign me up to volunteer and I didn’t want to and thought it was pointless. She would always tell me that we should give what we can, even time, to help. “You will appreciate it later and it will help you become a better person,” she would tell me. I still did it though but I just really didn’t realize I was making a difference until something happened.

In high school my mom pushed me to be in an organization that did many things for the community, so I did. One thing that we would do was go to a nearby elementary school and be role models to the children. We were available for them if they needed to talk about personal problems or school problems such as homework. We would also teach them about the six pillars of character and many other things. I then started to form a relationship with a little girl and she was just four years old. She was a very overactive girl and was always running around and never listened so anyone, but began listening to only me. I spent a year with her, working on her character, and helping her with whatever she needed. I saw her grow as a person; she started to respect people and listen. It was such a great feeling to see that I could make a difference in her world. It may have been small, but I like to think that I helped her with just volunteering in that program.

Volunteering is much more than that, it’s about giving, sharing and making a difference in the world even if it’s just really small. I realized that many events that go around in many places, such as school carnivals and church events, are because of volunteers. Going to hospitals to help out and forming relationships or just visiting the elderly can make their day. Sometimes the best thing you can give, is your time. Thanks to my mom, it has helped me become a better person and want me to do more to help others and make a difference in the world. This is why I am proud to call myself a Volunteer.