The Power of Good Words

Zhen - Salem, Oregon

Words come from people’s mouth. We hear words from anywhere anyone. But the way of saying the words may make a big difference. Words taste like honey, they make us happy; words smell like gunpowder, they make us angry; words take like medicine, they make us feel better.

When I was about 13 years old, I didn’t like math. I failed almost every test. I hated math so much. I used to swear that I would never study this kind of stupid course again. I felt really depressed. At that time, I was about to quit. My math teacher talked with me and said encouragingly: “I believe in you and you can do it.”

That phrase sounds simple. You may hear everyday, but at that moment, it had been a kind of power for me to keep going, not just give up. I felt the unknown motivation around me. So I worked twice harder on math instead of giving up. Finally, my effort led me to success. This is the power of good words. It’s the power of the encouragement.

I believe that the good words have the power to make people keep going. Also, I believe that good words can make every person’s life much better.

I would like to hear good words everyday. Just some simple phrases like “Good job” or “Keep up the good work” can make me have the power to defeat any difficulties. Although these kinds of phrases I might use everyday to others, I never know the effects the good words bring to other people, I never know how powerful these words have. But I know I am giving the honey to others and of course they will feel the sweet from these words.

The day you speak to someone and say good words to this person and when there’s confidence appear on his face, you realize that how powerful it is just to say some simple good phrases.