Just a Little Time

Travis - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in relaxation.

When I say relaxation I don’t just mean sitting in a spa not doing or thinking anything. I don’t simply mean lying on a bed in silence not trying to sleep but not doing or thinking anything.

I believe that to be able to relax is one of the greatest life lessons I have learned.

I don’t know whether it is by nature or by nurture but I am at heart a competitive person. With this characteristic inherently a part of my genetic fabric I often times find my self wanting to win so much that I do too much.

While in high school I played football. The position that I loved playing more than any other was Quarterback. Having the ball in your hands on every offensive play really did a lot towards satisfying that competitive gene that I had possessed.

Whether I was good or bad makes no difference but I practiced hard and I learned the fundamentals. I knew how to throw a football long before I set foot on the field in a game situation. When it was finally my time I took the snap, dropped back and threw the ball. Much to my surprise the ball flew out of my hands like a duck that had been shot out of the air.

Very distraught I walked over to our sideline and I talked with my Coach and it was then that he said those three words “Relax, just relax!” At that moment I realized what my life was about, and I made those words my motto. Anytime that I would get rattled those three words would play in my mind over and over again “Relax, just relax.”

I believe that no matter what it is that I am doing I can always benefit from just a little relaxation.

I believe that if I am studying for a test, having problems at work, or I am just stressed: that I should take a second and just relax knowing it is not the end of the world. Take a step back and envision myself accomplishing whatever I am struggling with then get back to work.

I am grateful that I had the chance to learn this lesson so early in life. So now when I hear people talk about how much stress they are feeling I can just sit back, smile and if given the chance I can share what I believe.