Kelsey - Muncie, Indiana
Themes: family, gratitude

The little things in life are too often looked past. This is my first year at college, and during my senior year, I thought I was more than ready to get out and be on my own. However, when the time arrived, my feelings slightly changed. It’s not that I don’t like college; it is more that I miss the small things from home. This is why I believe the small details in life are not appreciated enough.

The little things in our lives are different for everyone. For me it’s coming home and smelling my mom’s home-made dinner or having your parents there to depend on for help at any moment. It’s being able to play with my puppy whenever I want, being able to walk into the bathroom without shoes on, or snuggling in my queen size bed instead of a twin size. This is just a short list of things that had become comfortable in my everyday life. Before I came to college, I often took these simplicities for granted.

I have never been a morning person and waking up on my own has always been a struggle for me. In high school, I often relied on the help of my mom. The alarm was never a good idea because of a little thing called the snooze button. Sometimes I would push it without even realizing it. My mom always warned me that I needed to become more responsible in this regard, but did I listen? No. I knew I could count on her waking me up so I would not be late for school. Even being aware of this weakness, I still insisted on signing up for 8 and 9 a.m. classes. Thinking that I would much rather have my afternoons free of classes rather than my mornings. I must have been kidding myself. I knew that waking up that first day on my own would be extremely challenging and to be honest was not going to happen. So I made sure that the night before classes started to call my mom and ask for a wake-up call the next morning. She was quite amused but more than willing to help. Having my mom wake me up in high school was never something I truly appreciated. It was more of a habit in life that I relied on, but being away from it has shown me how grateful I should have been.

I have always said please and thank you, but looking back I now recognize that this gesture always came after something big and tangible, never was it just for a small detail. Coming to college was a bigger adjustment than I could have imagined. I figured college would have enough great times that I would not have to worry about wanting to come home. As much as I love it here, I have to admit home is always welcoming too, and a place I’m truly grateful for.