Don’t Harm Animals

Jessica - Manlius, New York

I had no idea that a decision I made when I was in kindergarten would affect the rest of my life. I learned that people shouldn’t harm animals of any kind.

My sister told me a story when I was six years old; it wasn’t a very pleasant one but a more gruesome tale describing how a cute little chicken was killed. They chopped off their heads. After their heads are chopped off they run around in circles screaming until they would finally die. At this point, I decided to become a vegetarian.

As the years went my decision of being a vegetarian was reinforced every time I went to a restaurant with a lobster tank. As I would walk by the lobster tank my sister would grab me and point me toward the lobsters so I could see each and every one of them moving around in the water. Then she would say in a high voice to me, “Help me, help me Jessie.” pretending to be the lobster herself.

Now that I am older I realize the impact of my decision, I began to think it was wrong for people to harm animals. At first I just did it because the animals were cute and I thought it was disgusting that they would actually let them suffer.

Then it became more of a habit, I forgot what meat tastes like and it really didn’t matter to me that I wasn’t eating it. I had become my brother in a way; I was someone who had forgotten why she had become a vegetarian.

But I am older now, and I have reaffirmed my belief that animals should not be harmed. My reasons have changed from what they were in the beginning; I felt the effects of my decision. I believe in not harming them and I believe that these animals have feeling’s because they are alive just like we are. They live, eat, breathe, sleep, and play just like human beings do.

I sometimes think back to the story my sister had told me about the chicken. If it had not been for my sister and her gruesome story then I may not have become a vegetarian.

But I realize now it was probably one of the best things that could happen to me because it made me realize that animals shouldn’t be harmed.