Stepping Into the Dark

Kristopher - Provo, Utah
  • Top 100 Essays USB Drive

While growing up I often reflected on my quiet side a side that dominated my personality. I wondered why others could so freely express themselves while I would sweat at just the thought of forcing myself beyond my comfort zone. This dilemma constantly invaded my thoughts as I would shy away from attention. I realized I did this because I wanted to be comfortable. I didn’t want to create ripples in fear that others did not want to get wet.

I recently served a mission in San Antonio where I had constant interaction with others. I would be asked to share my personal beliefs with others not of my own. Since religion has always been a controversial subject I wondered I could possibly overcome this fear of mine. I realized that I had to step out of my comfort zone. When I did I learned an invaluable lesson.

My entire life I lived within the sight of my own light. The light that I was comfortable in. I could see everything; I could only rely on myself and there were no surprises. But I always knew I was limited. Then I decided to step into the dark. In doing so I learned that to succeed in this life we will need to rely on something else. As I stepped out I could no longer rely upon my light, but rather the light of others and that of God’s. I learned that I could step further, increase my light and continue stepping the rest of my life. Now I’m making waves.