out of my comfort zone

claire - Springfield, Illinois

Claire Muehle

VA Freshman Seminar

I believe in the power of uncomfortable situations. What I mean by this is that I think that I never grow or develop more than when I am forced out of my comfort zone. I know that when I am in a group of people that I have never met, I feel panicked and worried. I have to force myself to talk and socialize, my heart beating frantically the whole time. After this ordeal, however, I feel like I have accomplished something big. I have a huge smile on my face because I have truly gained something from this experience.

Uncomfortable situations help me prove to myself who I really am. The way I react when something or someone makes me nervous or scared truly provides me with insight into my true feelings and merit. I remember when I was in middle school, many of my friends would question me about my religion. I soon became flushed and nervous. I answered the awkward questions that were directed towards me with shy but strong answers. I later realized that, by trying to defend myself and my views, my testimony of the gospel and my own religious views grew immensely.

I think that when I am presented with a situation in which I am nervous, I reveal my true intentions and feelings to myself. I find out if I think impressing someone by agreeing with them is more important than expressing my true opinions and creating conflict. No matter what, when I look back on the situation that has transpassed, I find that I have grown in some way or another.

By putting myself outside of my comfort zone, I learn more about myself and grow internally. I am more sure about my opinions and develop more meaningful relationships with the people I converse with. That is why I believe in uncomfortable situations.