Maranda - Bardstown

There has only been one thing in my life that has never let me down and always accepted me for who I was, and that’s my music. Music has been a huge part of my life since I was nine years old. I believe it is important to instill music into children at a very early age. Most little girls dream of prince charming to come and save them, but I am different. I’ve always had faith in music…to lift my spirits, to help me escape my problems or whatever the case may be.

Growing up as a kid, I was extremely shy, but that was apart of who I was. I was the quiet, independent little girl who, hardly talked to anyone.

I became involved with band when I was in the fifth grade, playing flute. I excelled in the music program. When the time came for my eligibility to join the marching band in eighth grade I jumped at the chance, knowing I would love every minute of it. I was exactly right. Marching band became my driving passion in life.

I eventually was compelled to try out for the role of drum major, a huge responsibility with numerous tasks as a student leader and mentor. There was nothing more I wanted in the world than to be drum major, to express my music, for people to look to me for guidance. I realized that if I wanted this, there was no way I could still be the quiet kid in the back of the class. I finally grasped my hands around the fact that the only person that was stopping me…was myself.

It took a bit of friendly shoving from my family but I started to break out of my comfort shell. Auditions came and I was dreadfully nervous. I landed the role and was honored to have the opportunity. As a requirement for drum majors, we are sent to camp for a week, to be trained the things that we have yet to learn and to perfect the things we already have. This camp was ultimately a dramatic, life changing experience. The person who I evolved into over that week was the person I knew I could be all along. I just had to find her. I returned back to my school’s band camp that summer with more confidence and with a more positive attitude on life. I remained drum major for two accomplishing years, until I graduated. This experience has lead to where I am today. Today, I am so thankful and excited to be apart of the marching band at the University of Kentucky.

One day, my music career will come to an end, but in my heart I will always be a musician. Eventually, I hope to teach elementary music. Hopefully, I can inspire a student of mine become as intertwined with music as I am now and forever will be.