Someone is watching out for you

Bryan - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Someone is watching out for you.

I’m not exactly sure of the date, but it was about 10 years ago. I was 17 or 18 years old, upset with my parents, and decided to go to the bus station and asked for the “next bus leaving” I had a bag full of clothes, and under $200.00 before buying the bus ticket. Turns out the next bus was going to Orlando, Florida.

About 1,700 miles later, 30 hours, I ended up in Orlando with no clue what I was going to do when I got there. I did manage to find a motel that was near and stayed there for a few nights.

After some time I ran out of money, didn’t have a place to sleep, so I was walking to the bus station with plans on sleeping there for the night. On my walk to the bus station a car ( I still remember it, it was a Tracker ) pulls up beside me. A lady was driving and her son was in the passenger seat. She asked me “Are you lost? You don’t look like you belong here.” I told her that I was on the way to the bus station and I asked her for directions. She told me I was going the wrong way. She must have known something was wrong because she offered, actually insisted that I stay at their place for the night.

Since I was so young and immature, I didn’t realize what had happened until years later. Someone driving down the road pulled over and just picked up a random person for some reason. I think about it from time to time and I still don’t know why. I do know that it was a pretty bad neighborhood, which I found out later.

What made her do that? Was it a gut feeling? Someone was watching out for me.

To this day, I don’t know who that Lady, her Son, or Husband was. I do remember her sons name. I remember they had a horse, a cat that was about 3 times the size of a normal cat and looked like a Tiger.

That one act of kindness, whatever their reason, is a moment in my life that I will never forget.

For years now, I look for opportunities to watch out for others, sometimes big and sometimes small, the same way they watched out for me 10 years ago.

Thank you for watching out for me.