Katelyn - Provo, Utah

This I Believe: Sometimes we need to be alone

Every individual gets stressed, high-strung, tense, nervous, depressed, fatigued, annoyed, infuriated, overworked, sick, tired, and frustrated. And every individual needs a little alone time too.

In my life I have always seemed to be running here and there. I have always worked (I was 12 and had a paper route) and always involved myself in school and extracurricular activities. Because of this I often find myself crowded in upon with all the things I need to do, have been putting off, or want to do. It’s these times that I need to be alone.

Give me one day where I can be alone, and I will get a lot done. The days I stay home from classes, I get a lot done around the house and around town. I have time to finally clean the dishes, make myself look nice, organize closets and drawers, read scriptures, pay this bill and that, and call people I’ve been wanting to communicate with. I believe that having a day, or even a few hours of alone time is invigorating. It refreshes your body. You aren’t worried about another body interfering with your to-do list. You don’t have to worry about small talk, or big talk, or any talk. In fact you can sing as loud as you want and not feel embarrassed. You can walk around naked if you want to (unless your roommates or family could surprise you any second). Being alone let’s you wonder, ponder, think, and sit down and organize your time, finances, goals, school schedule, whatever. Alone time lets you focus on yourself again. It gives you time to finally write in your journal, or read some more of that good book, or finally put together that scrapbook. Alone time is so necessary to well-balanced person.

I believe that sometimes being alone is good. Sometimes we NEED to be alone.

Don’t be afraid to be alone and get to know yourself again. Make goals and get them done. Make to-do lists and finally get them all done. Finally call that friend or relative. Take sometime to yourself and relax. Be alone. Ask for it if you need to. It’s okay. Sometimes we need to be alone.