Even a Divorced Family is Still Important

Samantha - Westerville, Ohio
Themes: change, family

I believe that even if a divorce happens to your family, it does not change how important your family is.

I have two of the greatest parents in the world. We use to go and do everything together. We would take extravagant trips all around the world, I was such a lucky girl to be blessed with all that I had.

Though I thought everything was perfect, my parents were going through a rough patch. My dad traveled a lot to give us a wonderful life and in return it put a lot of strain on not only my mom, but their relationship as well. My parents ended up getting a divorce about four years ago. I was devastated. My family was my everything and I could not imagine my life without my parents together.

Although I could not see this back when this was all occurring, it was vital for my parents to move on and become happy with their new lives. I hated my parents when they started to date other people. My dad eventually got remarried and I was lucky enough to gain a wonderful step mom whom I love. My mom right now is in a relationship and, I have not seen her this happy in a long time.

I remember I went with my best friend to something at her church it was called, “A Date With Jesus”. Towards the end they asked if you wanted someone to pray for you, you could go to the side. So my best friend went with me and we had someone pray for everything going on with my family and all the troubles I was having dealing with the divorce.

From that day forward I decided that I could not change what has happened in the past. I needed to be happy for my parents, so I could start being happy with my own life. Although my mom and dad are divorced, life could have been much worse and I have to love the way my new family is.

Through this horrible time in my life I really learned some of the best life lessons. I learned that just because your parents are divorced does not mean that your life is over; it is just another journey for you. I also learned that you should never take your family for granted; you need to be thankful for what you have at that moment.