The Faith of a Child

Johnathan - Fountain Inn, South Carolina
Themes: children

The Faith of a Child

I believe in the faith of a child. Life has thrown a lot of situations in my path, some more difficult than others. Not knowing the outcomes of the situations makes it even worse. I’ve been in lots of these situations and the one outcome that I’ll never forget, is death. Perhaps I was too young to remember everything about that event but there are a few things I do remember.

I was diagnosed with a germ cell tumor. I had it throughout my entire chest cavity, including my lungs. There was no cure for it and the doctors were giving me different chemo treatments to try to fight it. As expected, my silvery-blonde hair fell out and my head was as smooth as a river rock. I had an I.V. in my hand and a life port in my chest to keep me alive. Having all these beeping machines hooked to me and feeling like I was the only one going through this should have caused me to give up. But I never considered it. I had been touched by a ray of sunshine. I don’t mean the light we get from the sun, but rather a person, whom I’ll never forget.

Sunshine was in the cancer ward with me and the other patients. A day never went by that she didn’t smile. Every morning and night she would go from door to door saying good morning and good night to everybody on the floor, even the graveyard shift nurses and doctors. I never had the chance to feel sad or depressed about what I was going through, even when life turned a dull shade of gray. Sunshine was always there and even if she wasn’t, she left a bit of her radiance behind, to bring back the colors of life.

Seeing how she acted, as though she weren’t sick, made me want to be a part of what she had. She was so full of life, hope, faith, and joy. She showed me how to overlook the bad things and look at the brighter, better side of life. She taught me to hold on for just a second longer, to have faith that everything would be fine. She didn’t make it to see that Christmas, but I will never forget her. When I’m going through tough times, I remember Sunshine. How she always held on and believed, no matter what, with the faith of a child.