With My Self-Confidence

Eric - Fayetteville, New York

Self-confidence is my greatest strength, and I know it always will be. I believe in myself, but more than that, I believe in what I can become.

Most people think self-confidence is having trust in what you do. I believe it is much more than that. I’m blessed with many abilities that help me succeed in life, school, and occasionally sports. I have goals and dreams, and a desire to achieve them, but of course I don’t always succeed, especially the first time I try something new.

Last winter I joined the wrestling team, and it took me two painful months to win my first match. When I joined the cross country team this summer I thought I would race much faster than I soon realized I could. I tried my best in the first time trial, but I was still way behind the guys I thought I could stay with. I set my expectation of myself too high. Every time I try something new, from sports to playing music, I always get my hopes up that I’m going to be amazing whatever it is, and I never am. So why doesn’t it bother me that I always find myself disappointed at my lack of immediate success?

I hate disappointment, or at least I tell myself I do, which is why every time I don’t succeed at something I value, I try harder and harder until I do. And there are times I realize I don’t value something enough, and I’ve got the self – respect to let it go. More than that, I trust my work ethic, the core of my self confidence, so I know I can do anything if I find it worthwhile. Everyone comes into life with different abilities, but no matter who you are, if you want something hard enough, from getting an A on your Spanish test to becoming the President of the Unites States, you can intelligently work like hell at it and chances are you’ll succeed. This is what self-confidence really means.

I use my self-confidence to bounce back up from my failures and improve in what I’m not good at. I don’t just sit tight and close myself in a box of things I’m better at, like painting windmills or doing pushups. No. I try harder at the things I’m not good at because I know the lessons I learn from these inevitable defeats help me excel where I want to. I may draw an amazing smile in art class and it will never be the Mona Lisa, but that’s okay because I still derive something from it.

To be the very best you need a balanced set of experiences as well as hard work. And isn’t that an ultimate goal, to be the very best.