I Believe in the Power of People

Amanda - deltona, Florida
Themes: work

I believe in the power of people. People coming together to make a change. I believe that there is power in numbers. After hurricane Katrina destroyed the life and families of others, I was motivated to help the people that were struggling the most. Our church decided to come together and see what we could do. After a few charitable donations and letters that went out to families asking for their support, we gathered enough money to make sure we were doing our part. We gathered about 20,000 dollars to make the trip we had been planing worth it. Going to Waveland, Mississippi was the best decision I could have made. They were a small town that was never recognized by the news, but had some of the worst damage throughout Mississippi. While I was there, I learned to have faith in the team of people I worked with. I saw my team’s attitude change, they became self- less. They were only there to serve. We re-painted houses, re-built houses, and preformed demolition . We saw the hearts of angry and hurt people fill with joy when they saw that there were people out to help. My team took a trip to the beach and walked up and down with a black hefty bag picking up the trash that still remained on the beaches. When the trip neared towards the end I finally had the satisfaction of seeing a group of people change families lives. The only way those families were able to receive their new houses and all the blessing that our group poured out was due to the power of people. I believe that when a group of people come together with the same drive anything is possible.