Random Acts of Kindness

Ryan - Beverly, Massachusetts

Random Acts of Kindness

I believe that random acts of kindness are very simple things that sometimes go unnoticed, but make the world a better place.

After I got into my first car accident I can remember standing on the side of the road, looking at two smashed cars and waiting for the police. I did not know what to do. This lady, who I did not know, was on a late afternoon walk and she stopped and stood next to me. She put her arm around me and told me not to worry, and that everything would work out.

Usually, I would ask my parents for advice but they were not there, I was all by myself. Since I looked scared and confused, the lady who was on her walk stopped and talked to me. She took time out of her day to help me feel better when she saw that I was having a difficult time. This really meant a lot to me. It is these random acts of kindness that make the world a better place.

Whether it is holding the door for someone, giving up your seat on a bus to an elderly person or letting another car into traffic, these are all random acts of kindness. Most random acts of kindness can go unnoticed, but others can go a long way. When I can tell that a friend or family member is having a bad day, I make sure I say something cheerful to make them feel better. Not only does it make them feel better, but it makes me feel good as well.

All random acts of kindness are things that I don’t have to do; they are things I do because I want to. If everyone committed one random act of kindness a day, then the world would be a much happier place. They are not hard to do and they do not require a lot of effort.

The next time I walk through a door, I think about the lady who stopped and helped me when I got into a car accident. As a result I hold the door for the person behind me. Random acts of kindness make the world a much happier place.