Alex - Bowling Green, Kentucky

Have you ever set a goal that someone told you it would never happen? But you achieved to goal despite them. I believe in practice and determination. I grew up in a small rural Kentucky town where sports were a way of life. Baseball was my sport of choice, I started playing baseball when i was five years old and fell in love with it. The bad thing was that I was always the small skinny kid. Everyone thought that because of my size I would never be a good ball player. But i stuck it out and practiced everyday anyway. By the time I was in high school I was the starting center fielder and ended up playing college baseball.

I believe in practice makes perfect, not just in a sports perspective but in life. There may be some things that you pick up right away, but most of them you are going to have to work hard to achieve a set goal. I believe that determination is the way to success, if you are determined enough you can accomplish anything.

My father was my baseball coach growing up, and he always told me nothing was free, if i wanted it i would have to work hard to achieve it. I have always used that in every aspect of life. School hasnt always been the easiest thing but i set reasonable goals and achieved them. Sometime i may set a goal too high, but that just makes me work harder to reach it. Competing in sports in much like competing to make good grades. You always want to win, and in college you want to compete to gain as much knowledge as possible. Even though there may be some goals you don’t reach, you should take that stress and disappointment to do better next time.