A Genuine Apology

Priya - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

A Genuine Apology

I believe a meaningful apology really can fix a problem. If a person has ever done someone wrong or if they have done you wrong you have only two options. You can either sit and be angry about it, or try to make the problem better by working on it with the person and apologize.

I remember one time my friend and I got into a pointless fight. We had gotten into a fight about hanging out. We both felt we did not hang out as much and our friendship was drifting. We did not speak to each other for a few weeks. But finally we came to our senses, and we both decided we wanted to talk about the problem. We told each other we did not want to fight anymore, so we worked out the problem by telling the other why we were mad and we apologized. Now, more than ever, we are closer friends and I feel we got over an easy obstacle because of an apology.

For a person to be able to apologize genuinely, he or she has to have a sense of humility. My friend and I could not have apologized to each other if we did not let go of our pride. Having pride is basically thinking you are always right and another’s opinion is wrong. Getting rid of one’s pride is just being able to admit you were wrong or trying to see what your flaw was. An apology requires something else besides humility; it also requires empathy. Empathy is significant because when one apologizes one has to be able to see things from the other person’s perspective and realize one’s mistake. When I had a fight with my friend, I realized that something she had said about me was true and it made it easier for me to apologize. Finally, a genuine apology shows respect towards the other person. A genuine consists of all these elements and can solve a problem between two people peacefully.