Eric - Katy, Texas
Themes: change

I believe that in the end, everything will be okay. That probably seems really cliché, but it is something that I often think about to get myself through tough times. Many times I have looked in the past and thought of times where I was wishing for things to be different, but now I am glad they weren’t.

One such example would be a time when I moved. I was a small child at the time, and it was very hard to me. At nights I would lie in my dark room, sobbing or having nightmares. I couldn’t stop thinking about how I would never make new friends or get used to my new surroundings. Everything felt completely alien. Back in Dallas I acted very strange and generally scorned. I only really had one friend, Kevin, who was like me, also a bit of an awkward individual. A positive trait of moving that had never occurred to me before was that I was able to have a fresh slate and do things over. I resolved not to be an outcast, and for the most part succeeded. Granted, I never was the most popular kid, but no longer was I the kind of person who people would have to go out of their way to avoid. I was able to make new friendships, ones that were even better than the one I had in Dallas. Something that I had once rued as something dreadful, in the end, gave me a much better life.

Another effect of the moving was that my parents decided that I should be moved back a year, as I was young compared to other people in my grade group. This originally greatly upset me as most of my friends that I made were a whole grade level ahead of me. I felt betrayed by this and constantly ranted about it to my parents. I was especially angered by this during my freshman year in high school. Most of my friends were sophomores, and thus I was subject to a great amount of playful hazing. Playful though it may have been, I often took it more seriously than I should of and felt that, had I not been a year behind, I would be on more equal ground with my friends. It is now my senior year in high school, and it has rushed by quicker than I expected. I can envision many friends who I would not know had I been a year ahead of them, especially my current girlfriend.

To this day I recall all the times when things have worked out for the best for me. During the times when my life feels like it’s falling apart, I just tell myself that one day I might be able to look back and be thankful of everything that happened, and if not, there will be a time when I will be over it. This, I believe.