I believe in action

Julia - Springville, Utah

I believe in action

6 years ago I took action. I was a poor little 7th grader stuck in a big problem. I had an anxiety disorder , based in school, that took over my life. I won’t go into detail about how bad it was, but lets just say, I was disabled. I was so terrified of school, that I wasn’t able to function at school, or even at home. I got an idea in my head. What if I skipped a grade? Since, 8th and 9th graders were in a seperate school, I would move to a new school. What if I just started out fresh? Maybe my fear would go away. Maybe I could live my life.

This thought was my only hope. And I wouldn’t let go of It. I asked my parents, begged them, and they said no. My parents were wary of taking action. Afraid of making a change in my life. “This will change the rest of your life, Julia. This will change the people that you meet, the friends that you have, and you’ll go to college a year earlier. This will even change who you marry in the future.” They were not willing to take such a step. But without this last hope, I couldn’t carry on in the situation I was in. So I would NOT give up on it. I pressed, and I pushed as much as I could. My parents still said no. Finally my sister, who could see the state that I was in, talked to my parents. She was the persuasive one in the family, and talking to them did it. They decided to allow me to skip a grade. Luckily, the school wasn’t much trouble either because my grades were good enough.

We took an action that changed the rest of my life. And it was the best decision we ever made. I never looked back, not once. I never wondered if it was the right decision, not even my first day of 8th grade, when I came home from school and just cried on my bed, because it was all so overwhelming. Even in that moment I knew it was the right thing to take action in my life, instead of being a sitting duck, stagnant in agony.

I believe in action.