Suffering

Alexis - Bettendorf, Iowa

Two years ago in fourth grade I learned a very important lesson.

I believe that nobody should suffer. Not humans. Not animals. Even plants. How I learned this I remember distinctly.

It was a Tuesday morning. I had woken up and noticed something strange. It was a baby deer lying on the side of the road. I thought it had hit by a car and went on with my morning routine.

Later I walked to the front window to see if the deer was still there. For some reason I didn’t understand that the deer could have suffered. As I sat there and watched the deer sit there, doing nothing, a car drove up and stopped. It was a police car. The police officer pulled out its gun and shot it. I was shocked. My mom was standing behind me and explained to me that he was actually helping the animal. I asked why. She said he was putting it out of its misery.

From this day forward, I think about how I treat others and how I can be more respectful of people’s lives. I think about how my decision impacts others and how I can put others out of their misery.

This I believe