Failure Can Lead to Success

Xiu Min - Norfolk, Virginia

Failure Can Lead to Success

Who haven’t failed once in their life time? When I was a child, I used to think that failure is the worse thing that can happen to me. As I grew older, I began to believe that failure can lead to success.

Developing photographs is like the continuing of life. You have to work hard to become successful. If you failed, then you need to be positive and self-confidence about yourself that you can become successful.

I compare the light of the photograph to the mood of my life and the photograph. The mood of the photograph can make people have different emotions. I always make people confused when they are looking at my photographs because they don’t know the exact meaning of the photographs. I like to use side lights to make my photographs look dramatic and real, so my photographs have more black than white. I prefer to take photographs in the evening, so the sunlight won’t be too bright.

Last year, my photography teacher wanted me to try different subjects with the digital SLR camera and the scanner. I tried to take photographs using the digital SLR camera, but I didn’t like those photographs after I edited them. I feel that those photographs were similar to the photographs taken by the manual camera. After a few months of experiencing the scanner, I finally made good photographs. I putted eggs in a plastic clear tray with a sliver reflecting paper on top of the eggs, so the background won’t be too dark. The photographs helped me get nominated to the Student Gallery.

One of my favorite photographs was a photograph of a corner of a street in New York City. I actually took that photograph randomly in the middle of the street, and I edited them using the Photoshop. My teacher told me that every corner of New York City can be an award winning photography. I won two awards for best white and black photographs of New York City. The awards had made me become more self-confidence and positive about my photographs. I also putted a tangle ball of rainbow strings on top of the scanner with my hand tangle with the strings on the scanner. The photographs came out to be colorful and bright. The photographs had helped me end my last school year successfully.

At the end of my senior year, I liked to work with the scanner and made some of my favorite photographs that I had made over the three years that I had taken photography class. Did I tell you that all of the photographs that I developed manually using the enlarger in the darkroom were all failure and none of them were awarded or even nominated?