sacrifice something to get something better

arturo - sacramento, California

In September 1994, I was ready to move on with my life, I was only 17 years old

and looking for a new and better place to leave, I knew I was leaving so many good thing

behind, including my family and friends. I had everything pack and ready. A pair of

socks, jeans and jackets, all the basic of was in my suitcase, but the more valuable thing

were packed in my heart, all those special moments that I spent with my family and

friends, all those great moment were hard to leave behind.

When I immigrated to The United States, I knew I was going to have a better life,

better opportunities and I was going to be able to help my family. I was aware of the

sacrifice that I was doing, leaving my mother, my father, 10 and 6 year old sisters, and all

of my friends. I think all that was more valuable than all the money in the world, but I

knew it was hard to have everything at the same time, and for that reason I would have to

leave something, to have something else, and in this case, my family was staying behind,

I was walking out of those family pictures. After some time, I went back to my country to

visit my family and realize that I was not in those pictures any more.

Every time I want something better, or I want to do something to benefit myself,

things have to change for me and sometimes for people around me, like when I enrolled

in college, before I did that, I was able to spent time with my girlfriend; we use to watch

movies, go for walks or just have some good conversations, but when I decided to go

back to school, I changed all of that for something that eventually will give me a better

opportunities in life. Having a full time job in the morning and going to school in the

afternoons 4 days a week, it’s hard, but is something I have to do to be in a better position

in the Future.

I believe in sacrificing things to get something better. My friends and family had

respected and admired my belief, because not everybody is ready to do that. I learned

from this belief as I was growing up, I remember that every time I ask my mom for some

toys, she used to say “do u want this or that, but you are getting only one”. I think she was

letting me know that life has everything, but I had to decide which one was more

important to me. Living with this belief, has change my life in a better way, I see

things different and I appreciate them better. All this things are not sacrifice forever, but

they are put aside for some time.