Alex - Katy, Texas
Themes: pleasure

I believe in the power of music. Beautiful, Classical, Rockin’, Head-Banging, Relaxing music, no matter what your preference, it seems to have a magical power to get you through anything life throws at you.

When I was 9 years old, my parents told me we were moving from our home in Pflugerville, Texas to Katy, Texas. I yelled, shouted, and to my embarrassment now that I look back to that moment, I cried too. The thought of leaving my friends and everything that I had ever known did not sit well with me. I locked myself in my room and listed to music on my old Mickey Mouse radio that I had since I was three. When we made the trip to Katy, my brother and I shared his silver CD player the entire car ride there. We listened to everything from Weird Al to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Looking back I realized that that is one of the few times my brother and I actually got along. It turned a bad memory of mine into two brothers brought together by music.

Now when I have a bad day or I’m feeling down about something I turn up my radio in my car and sing along with my favorite bands. It calms me down and somehow takes away my stress. Whenever I have a lot of work to do I put on my headphones and listen to my favorite songs on my Ipod. Music has a way about making the boring, entertaining and the mentally difficult, less stressful. Music can bring families together.

Over the years I have been through difficult situations. Every time I was lonely, music was my companion. Every time I was sad, music had a way of cheering me up. Whether I have had a major test to study for, an excessive amount of work to do, going through a difficult breakup, dealing with a loss of a loved one, getting pumped for a sporting event, or having family problems, music always has always been there for me. Music has kept me alive and sane through difficult times, “This I Believe.”