Happiness

Omar - Queen Creek, Arizona

My sophomore year began as any other school year: reacquainting myself with old friends and making new ones along the way. Little did I know that it would be unlike any year I had experienced so far.

I had played football and soccer since high school started. Playing these sports allowed me to get to know a lot of people. As the year wore on, football ended and soccer began soon that too ended. Then I began a sport that was completely alien to me: track. During track I got to know a kid named Dylan Beaver. I already knew his older brother Luke.

It was during this that the accident occurred. Luke, Dylan, Randy and Parker were in a terrible accident. Dylan passed away April 16, 2008. I received a phone call at midnight with the tragic news. I thought my happiness was shattered.

It was a dream to me. I thought that wasn’t possible. I had just eaten dinner with them less than two hours ago. My world was shaken. It seemed to me as if someone had grabbed a snow globe and shook it. I held no control over my grief.

It was the worst time of my life; I was afraid to get close to anyone. A fear had crept into my heart. This fear led me to be depressed and upset.

This is where I discovered that all the things in the world can’t make you happy. You control whether or not you are happy.

It is up to an individual to see the good in things and turn that horrible day into something better. After I came out of my depression I realized my great friends. Realizing that allowed me to see something good and to be happy again. In looking for the good I realized that I can control my happiness. I no longer felt sad.

Now I know that happiness can be created from the small things. When true treasures are found, they can turn into a myriad of things to be happy and thankful for.

I believe that you create your own happiness.