Determination Leads to Success

Ethan - Solon, Ohio

Determination Leads to Success

I relaxed into the jet black chair in the office at home, relieved to get the “A” I deserved in my biology class. I finally made an “A”. It took six weeks to raise my grade. My hard work finally paid off. At that second, a new idea was forming in my head. It is as follows. I believe that if your work hard in life, and then you will get the results you want.

On the following Monday, when I got the test back, I stared at the test in horror. A “C”! I thought my life was over. I thought I was never going to make it back up to an A. That night I checked my grades on the internet. I noticed how I had an 87% in biology. I was so close that it annoyed me.

That Friday, my mom checked my grades and she was about to hit the roof.

“Ethan, why do you have such bad grades, a C in German and a B in Biology”?

“Because I didn’t do well on the test.”

“Well if you don’t want to get punished, you better raise your grades.”

Well that motivated me, I studied for at least 3 hours that night. I really wanted to raise my grade and prove that I am capable of being in a honors class.

The next test I took I got an A, but it was not enough to raise my grade. I kept on working and working, and I still didn’t receive the A I deserved. I kept on getting A’s on my homework and tests, but I was stuck at a B+. Then I finally had an 89% on my test.

Mr.Pehanic, my biology teacher stated in a pleasant tone, “For those people who are on the border, we will have two more tests that might improve your grade.”

I really wanted the “A” so I studied. I worked hard like an ant. After studying for an hour on my big, soft bed, I closed my big, old, white book and went to sleep.

The next day, I was so afraid to get it back; I was like a dog after it came inside the house on a rainy day. When I got my test I didn’t look at first. After I over came my fear, I turned it over and saw the “A”. I was shocked. An “A”, I did it, I survived Honors Biology.

Later that day, I checked my grades and I finally got an A. But then I remembered that I had one more test. The biology common assessment. Again I studied hard.

I waited for the test results. If I missed more than two questions, I was doomed. On Sunday, the day before the next quarter, I was so scared and excited that I checked the grade book every two hours. Mr.P posted the grades and I got an A in Biology. I learned my lessen, put in what you want out of the job. Or simply put: work hard in life.