Death Makes Life Important

Thomas - Solon, Ohio
Entered on December 1, 2008
Age Group: Under 18
Themes: death
  • Podcasts

    Sign up for our free, weekly podcast of featured essays. You can download recent episodes individually, or subscribe to automatically receive each podcast. Learn more.

  • FAQ

    Frequently asked questions about the This I Believe project, educational opportunities and more...

  • Top Essays USB Drive

    This USB drive contains 100 of the top This I Believe audio broadcasts of the last ten years, plus some favorites from Edward R. Murrow's radio series of the 1950s. It's perfect for personal or classroom use! Click here to learn more.

“When is Dad getting back” my father asked his mother when he was only sixteen years old. Just then the phone rang. As soon as my grandmother hung up the phone she began to cry. After she told her three children they began to cry as well. They just found out that their father had just died in a plane crash. This one event has caused me to believe that the reason for death is to make life important.

I believe in this because without death we would not get the full meaning of life. Without death war would be pointless. Death is existent so that people can know their own limitations. Without the fear of death there would be no meaning to life. Without death life would be dull because there would not be risks for anyone to take.

In a recent survey when asked if people would like to know the day they would die 98% of these people said that they would not like to know. I always thought that I would want to be in the other 2%. That is until people that I started to love began to die. Everyone would know when one o our family members was close to death but it is still a shock when it actually happens.

Death is such an unexpected thing that everyone needs to cherish every moment that they have with a person because you will never know when the last time you will have with person will be. I know that my dad regrets his last moment with is dad because they were in a fight when he left on his plane trip. And because his body was to messed up to be at the funeral my dad never saw him again and I know that he regrets it to this day.

I do not necessarily fear death it is just the surprise of death that frightens me the most. But it is your belief of death that defines who you are. If you always fear death then you will never get the most out of life because you will not take chances. But if you just accept the fact that everyone will eventually die then you can get the most out of your time on Earth. I do not understand why people fear death. I don’t claim to be a very religious man but in most religious holy books if you have lived a good life then you shall go to a place that is far better then Earth.

I have always been curious about the grandfather I never met. But since then my grandmother has remarried to a wonderful man that I consider a perfect member of our family. When I ask my dad about his father he will always tell me that he was one of the best men that he ever knew and that him and I would have gotten along very well together. But when I have been alive the only grandfather I have known has been my father’s step dad. He understands that he can’t replace my biological grandfather but he still fits in with my family all the same. With him being a new addition to the family our family has only gotten stronger.

I believe that death exists to make life worth living. Without the fear of death nothing would be a risk. Without death we would not get the full meaning of life. Without death we would not get to meet people that could help you or your family out in such an influential way. All I know is that my family and I are deeply saddened that my grandfather passed away at an early age but I also believe that god sent me the best step-grandfather that anyone could ask for and that all of this happened for a reason. This I believe.