This a Diabetic Believes…

Regan - Red Lion, Pennsylvania

I believe nothing is truly impossible.

All the odds were against me overcoming my newly diagnosed type-1 diabetes. I loved

all things sugar much like most four and a half year olds do. Then my world crashed, at

least in my eyes; I was told I couldn’t eat any sugary foods anymore. I was the girl who

ran down the hospital hall when the nurse came with the needles. I had to prick my

fingers about six times a day and have my mom poke my butt with a syringe just as many

times – sometimes more. Couldn’t I just leave it go for a little while?

The answer? No, I really couldn’t, because four months later, I started kindergarten.

Great timing, right? Most of my classmates were jealous because I got snacks in the

middle of the morning. Then one day I had my diabetes doctor come in to school to

explain what was “wrong” with me, and we made some awesome apple, peanut butter

and marshmallow smiles. After that I realized diabetes shouldn’t be a shameful disease.

Even to this day, over a decade later, I still feel like disease is too ugly a word for it.

Sure, it can kill you, but only if you let it. By the age of eight, I had an insulin pump, one

of the youngest to get one. And by age nine? Well, I was totally independent with it, still

am.

I haven’t let diabetes stop me from living. I march in the school marching band in the

summer and fall, I have musical over winter, and then there’s my hardcore sport –

lacrosse – in spring. I play Frisbee, duck-duck-goose, and rugby with my friends on

weekends and snow days. My friends and I have made a joke about it; whenever I do

anything wrong or right, we say “it’s ’cause of that diabetes.” Thinking about it now, I

couldn’t see how much more fulfilling my life would be without diabetes. I honestly

think diabetes has made me exactly the person I wanted to be. I’m strong, almost fearless

and happy. My school nurses are still stunned that I have almost complete control over

my disease, and rarely need to go to them for help.

I wouldn’t recommend killing off your pancreas to get diabetes, but if you do get a

somewhat debilitating disease, don’t let it get you down. Live by my motto, “You can do

it.”

After all, nothing is impossible.