Tyler - Hopkinsville, Kentucky

“I arrived to the start line a little out of breath. This would be my first marathon and it was raining on a cloudy Sunday morning in Nashville, Tennessee. I thought to myself this is the time I have been working so hard for. I cleared my mind and just started to run. Life itself is much like a marathon. It might not be 26.2 miles of hard pavement running; however, it takes a lot out of you.” Life is all about enduring much like marathon’s are about endurance.

The reason I started training is because of things happening in my life. I got into a car wreck, which I should have died in. I also had to drop out of college, my first semester at Murray State University, due to Post concussion syndrome. I had also lost the will to just go on with my life. My partner of two years broke it off with me while I was in the emergency room for another person. This I tell you because what I believe is that the more a person can endure the stronger that person is.

People complain about gas prices, jobs, and global warming. These are all thing’s you must not dwell on. I believe most of these things are just ways of making yourself feel better by blaming other people for your hardships. Life is not always going to be enjoyable; really it’s going to be un-enjoyable many times. That does not stop me from trying to be the best I can be at everything I do. After coming home from the hospital I ran. It was just my way of getting over things and I decided that life is too short to dwell on things that can’t be controlled. I do not even watch the news anymore because it is all negative.

I believe the time I am here I will live it to my absolute fullest. I go to college right now just a year after the events that affected my life and am having the time of my life. I take as many classes as I can, play as many sports as I can, and work as hard as I can. All people get only one chance at life. It has been a long road to find what I believe, but I regret nothing. In closing remarks, life has more meaning then most people give it credit for. I affect people every day of my life and the world would be different without me.

“As I got to the last mile marker my mind had been put on the events that had happened before. I gave it my all the last mile, even though I was in pain I wanted to finish. It was a way for me to put all those things away and live a care free life. I could control everything in my life again.”