Tina - Hopkinsville, Kentucky
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe education is important. In today’s society without an education it’s hard to get a job. When you go to an interview you are asked about your education level. I know from experience how people looked at me when I told them I quit school in the 7th grade. I didn’t realize how important it was until I was 29.

When I turned 29 I looked at my life and it was going nowhere. I was unmarried with 3 small children. I didn’t have a job because I felt no one would hire me because I didn’t have an education. When my youngest daughter was 3 I decided it was time for me to do something about my life. I received a flyer from my son’s school, and it was about taking GED classes. That’s when I knew that’s what I was going to do.

I had it all planned out from the time I saw the flyer. I was going to go to the GED classes and after I received my GED I was going to college. It was hard work at first. I was seeing and doing things I hadn’t ever seen or done before. I looked at the work we had to do and I was scared, but after the women at the school I was attending explained things to me I wasn’t scared as much.

It took me three tries before I received my GED, but I got it and it was the happiest day of my life. Now I am enrolled in college, and with 2 semesters to go I am achieving the goals I set for myself. When you are a child and people tell you to get an education, you may look at them like they are crazy, but really they know what they are talking about. I tell my children everyday how important it is for them to do well in school and get an education. That’s the only way a person can become what they want to be. That is why I believe getting an education is important.