Chances

Jonathan - Eastlake, Ohio

I believe taking chances is a big part of my life because I never know exactly what I’m getting into. When I take chances usually something good comes out of it. I started going to church at St. Thomas More every Sunday, about a month ago. Then they were having a Koinonia retreat at the church, at first I didn’t want to go because I didn’t think it would be interesting. Koinonia means community in Greek and the retreat was about becoming a part of the community in church. Then my sister Maria told me to give it chance and that I could leave if I wasn’t enjoying and it doesn’t hurt to try. So at the last minute I signed up for it.

I was so stressed the first day because I was all worried about the exam in geography, that I had coming Monday. At first I wanted to just leave and do my work but, my friend that was there convinced me to stay because it would get better so I did. Then we did an ice breaker to get to know each other a little bit.

The second day didn’t even think about my exam made some new friends and started to enjoy myself there. We sang a lot of songs and learn about the things in the church. The quote of the weekend was “Trust and be Strengthen” which means a lot to me because the more you trust someone the stronger your relationship with them will be.

Then the third day came and I just wanted to stay there forever because I didn’t have to worry about time and the people there were very nice. They took all our cell phones and watches, pretty much anything that had the time, so none of us had to worry about time the whole weekend. They took away the time so people wouldn’t be distracted by watching the clock or texting a friend. Life after that retreat seemed so more relax and if I had a chance to do that all over again I would. I came out of that retreat more connected to God, with more friends, and good memories.

I have taken other chances in my life like trying snowboarding and tennis not knowing anything about ether of them and now I like going and playing those sports. Taking those chances gave me stuff in common with people when I came to college. I believe that taking that chances changed my life a lot. Taking chances is a part of life that everyone does but, it’s the big chances that make the changes in life.