Good Things Are Born From bad

Emily - Madison, Wisconsin
Themes: death

When my grandma died, I thought “How could there possibly be an upside to this? Why did this have to happen to us?” My family would never get to talk to her again, spend time with, or even see her. It just all seemed so unfair, and upsetting, and bad. The words, “Why? Why? Why?” kept running through my head.

My grandmother and I were close, and we always had been from a very young age. My whole family is extremely close for that matter, always there in the good times and the bad. But it always seemed that my grandma was the glue that held us all together; the organizer who was always on top of everything, all the time. She remembered everyone’s birthdays and when all the grandchildren’s track meets, dance recitals, and football games were. Even if she could not come to them, she would always remember to send a card or make a phone call to wish us good luck, even when she was very sick. I honestly did not know how my family would function without her.

The days after my grandma’s death, my grandpa and our family received countless cards and numbers of people dropping by to say how sorry they were, and how much she would be missed. We did a lot of crying, reminiscing, laughing, and more crying. We were together as a family. I’m not sure how we would have been able to make it through if we hadn’t been together to support each other.

In an odd sort of way, this horrible event brought our family closer. We were all experiencing this mutually, and understood how everyone else was feeling. We needed one another to begin healing again. I spent hours talking with my cousins, and I think it helped us all connect on a deeper level than we had before.

I’m not saying my grandma’s death was a good thing. I’m not saying I don’t miss her everyday and wish she was still here, because I do. But I truly believe that good things can come out of bad. My family learned to value each other more and the time we have together, because it doesn’t last forever. We learn from our mistakes and do our best. Bad things happen to us, but they are what shape who we are and how we see the world. I used to believe my grandma was gone for good, but I know that no one ever truly leaves. We fall down, and we do our best to get back up again. And that is life.