I believe in the power of music

Theodore - Madison, Wisconsin

Last year I found out I had a disc herniation in my back, I was out of school for weeks, and had to go through months of physical therapy, but what helped get me through was music, when I lay in bed all day music rose my spirits, gave me hope.

Imagine a world without music. Music completes us, it defines us as people, and without it our world just wouldn’t be complete. We hear music every day, on the radio, in movies, when we listen to our ipods. Without it our lives would be hollow, two dimensional. Without music, we’d go insane.

Music has been in my family for a long time. My dad played guitar and a bit of piano and listens to music constantly. When I was younger, I started playing piano, then cello, and now guitar too. Perhaps my musical background affects my perspective of music. Maybe that contributes to why I chose this for what I believe

Music is very powerful. It can really affect people’s mood. An upbeat song could raise someone’s spirits, or a slow depressing song can make you sad. An exciting song played at a football game could rouse the crowd to cheer. Also, you could possibly tell a little bit about who someone is by the music they listen to.

Also music is a great way to bring people together. It’s a way for people from different communities to come together and express themselves. People can meet through music. It could be a conversation starter. It gives people something to do, be they discussing a piano concerto or rocking out to Led Zeppelin.

So next time you turn on the radio, or plug in your mp3 player just take a moment to think about what music does for us. Think about what it represents in us. People need music. I need music. And I’m pretty sure you do too.