Guitars

Michael - Bardstown, Kentucky

This I Believe Essay

I believe in the power of guitars. I have heard a lot of people tell me that every guitar is the same; it has six strings and sounds the same, but they’re wrong. I have played guitar for six years and have enjoyed every second of it. What I really enjoy most about it though are the different sounds each guitar makes. I have two Fender Stratocasters, and both have different tones. One is for rock songs and the other is for a slow blues tone. I try to play like all of these great guitarists like Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Lenny Kravits, Eddie Van Halen, and Tom Delonge. I listen to these musicians everyday and hope that one day I can be as good as them.

When I first started learning I wasn’t really into music and was only familiar with rock that was on the radio at that time. I met my teacher Eric, who is the best guitar player I had ever seen. He taught me everything I needed to know about a guitar and how to play it. For three years I constantly went to his house and played random songs with him. For my last lesson I played at a party with him in front of seventy people. It was the best I ever felt. But the real lesson he taught me was that you don’t have to be the next Jimi Hendrix to play guitar, you just have to be committed to the time and effort you put in to make yourself as good if not better. I have never forgotten that and never will.

I can’t see myself without a guitar in my hand playing to all of these different bands like Blink-182, The Goo Goo Dolls, The Rolling Stones, and 3 Doors Down. I couldn’t have learned to play without the support of my family because they were the ones that made me better. To me a guitar isn’t an instrument, its life. That is what I believe in.