Jasmine - Hopkinsville, Kentucky

Geoffrey Canada, for almost 20 years has been president and CEO of Harlem’s Children Zone, a nonprofit providing education and support programs for poor families in Harlem. In his article A Taste of Success he talks about the poor minority children in Harlem that he has worked with for the last past 25 years. Mr. Canada thinks’ he’s misunderstood when he say he believes all children can learn.

Accepting no excuses about kids not learning Geoffrey came out of the Harvard Graduate School of Education. Working in a summer camp in Ossipee, N.H., for kids with the absolute toughest problems: emotionally disturbed kids, autistic kids, oppositional ADHD kids. Everyone had given up on those kids. If a child does not succeed, it meant the teacher around them had failed not the child.

There’s hope for children education if the teacher can find the right motivation for a child. Which was a lesson learned by Geoffrey Canada. Every since he grew up poor in south Bronx, one of four boys raised by a single mom. He was headed for trouble, hanging out on the street with friends and getting into fights and trouble. Sensing that he would have ended up dead or in jail like many of his friends if it hadn’t been for a few teachers and family members that could see right through his act. They took note that he was engrossed with reading.

After reading Geoffrey Canada’s article, I think there’s no excuse for kids not learning as well. Most of all you should have patience when dealing with children. If you show them that you’re willing to teach them, they will be infatuated with learning.

Some adolescents are visual or hands-on learners. Either way the adult should take note to their learning style, for the child, and for themselves. Geoffrey did and so can anyone else, I believe to achieve you have to strive. Nothing in life is free, if you want something out of life you have to work for it. Today people take advantage of things instead of appreciating what they have.Like some teachers don’t even teach, they hand the assignment, tell you the due date, and that’s it.

To be enthusiased to see somebody else do good for themselves like Geoffrey, is the people who make the world go around. Helping out the minority children may not seem like a big deal, but it actually is. What if they didn’t get the motivation that Mr. Canada was talking about? Half of them would be in jail or dead just like Canada could have been.