What I think of myself as a writer

Schelby - Missoula, Montana

What Do I Believe About Myself As A Writer?

See that is a tough question for me to answer. I have no confidence in myself as a writer, but let’s say I was playing basketball. We are down three points, you bet give me the ball and I will score or at least draw a foul so I can shoot free throws. But to me writing and playing basketball are two completely different things, so I guess that makes it okay in my mind that I am good at being athletic and just average at being a writer, because I have never been pushed to be more than an average student just as long as I was playing a sport.

Although, that is just it not everyone is going to be good at writing so I do not understand how teachers especially in high school think that just because I smart straight A student can and always write a good paper that everyone else has to do just as good as that student, and it is unfair. I remember my senior year in high school I barely passed English. Not because I could not follow directions but because I lack the ability to write. I do not really think about anything in a formal way so it is hard for me to write good papers because most of the time they seem all scattered and not very well thought out… and believe me I am trying very hard to focus on not randomly going off on something else.

However, I also think that in order to be a good writer you must be book smart and like to read. Reading is also another thing that is not easy for me to do. I am just not confident in myself enough to try and apply myself to be book smart. On the other hand, if it is street smarts I can learn and adapt very quickly. I do not know why that is but like it or not that is how I am and I have become very proud of the fact that I made it to and in college. And that is what I think of myself as a writer.