Acceptance

Kathrine - Auburn, Washington

I am a 16 year old and I am a junior at Auburn Senior High School. When I was a little kid I lived in Leavenworth, Washington with my mom. When I was around seven or so I moved in with my dad and step mom and we moved to Auburn. I am a good kid. I attend school on a regular basis, I try hard, and I stay out of trouble. I like to play sports and I love to snowboard. Along with all the information about myself that I have just given to you I will tell you one more fact, I am gay. I am a girl that likes other girls.

Almost every day I hear people snickering as I walk past and I can see the look that people give me. Every day teenagers are getting kicked out of their houses just because they like someone of the same sex as them. Parents often don’t understand or fear what they don’t know. Other times parents would rather abandon their children then face that they are gay. The most loving of parents sometimes will even come to this. The fear and the hatred of the unknown can allow us to come to such a terrible decision.

In the human history there have been many things that people were discriminated against for. However I don’t believe that it is in human nature to discriminate. I believe in change and acceptance. Of course not everyone can get along. Not everyone can love each other. Some people just don’t go together. However I do believe that everyone could accept everyone else. They don’t have to like it. They don’t have to love it. They just need to accept.

I believe that in today’s society our most important thing to do is to bring awareness to everyone. Awareness is the key to acceptance. People fear what they don’t understand so we must help them to understand. By doing this we can help to bring a rebirth to our culture, a renaissance of sorts. This culture can be one of understanding and acceptance like none that has ever been.

Today there are many types of discrimination. People are discriminated for the color of the skin, the way they dress, and often even for the people they love. Some things are the same as they were years ago some things are different. We have found ways to stop discrimination for many things while at the same time finding a few new things to dislike. Altogether I believe that we can learn to accept people for who they are. No matter any trait that they may possess.