I Believe in America

Hannah - Orange Park, Florida
Themes: patriotism

As the crowd hushes my heartbeat quickens. The chorister lifts his arm to draw my attention. An air of anticipation fills the football stadium. As I brace myself to perform the National Anthem, the accompaniment begins. I feel a rush of pride flow through me as I sing. The audience respectfully covers their hearts awaiting the pledge. Their faces glow with patriotism. As the Anthem comes to a close I see my mother wipe away a tear of joy.

America is freedom and pride. I marvel at the thought of America being the melting pot of the world. People come from all around the world to America to have freedom and civil rights. Through the Constitution and Bill of Rights, Americans are given the right to have a voice. I am proud to have the right to vote. I am also proud to have the freedom of speech, freedom of press, and freedom of religion.

Americans are united through patriotism. Patriotism can be displayed through serving in the armed forces. My uncle has served in the Iraqi War for three years, and I have seen the struggles he and his family have faced. But despite the trials and tribulations he has encountered, he would willingly return to the war to serve his country. Patriotism can also be displayed through simply saying the pledge of allegiance every day.

As a child I was taught to display great pride for my country- America. I remember my family’s grand celebrations on the fourth of July. My grandmother would cook a feast that could feed a multitude of soldiers. My grandfather would tell miraculous tales of war in which he selflessly protected America’s freedom. My father and older brothers would bellow patriotic tunes as they prepared to light fireworks. My mother, sister, and I would joyously hum the National Anthem as we created homemade ice cream. These experiences instilled in me profound love, appreciation, and pride for America.

The America I have grown to know and love allows equality for all, freedom for all, and opportunity for all. I am proud to be an American, and I will show my patriotism. This I believe.