Memories may last a life time

Dennis - Gilbert, Arizona
Entered on November 12, 2008
Age Group: Under 18
  • Podcasts

    Sign up for our free, weekly podcast of featured essays. You can download recent episodes individually, or subscribe to automatically receive each podcast. Learn more.

  • FAQ

    Frequently asked questions about the This I Believe project, educational opportunities and more...

  • Top Essays USB Drive

    This USB drive contains 100 of the top This I Believe audio broadcasts of the last ten years, plus some favorites from Edward R. Murrow's radio series of the 1950s. It's perfect for personal or classroom use! Click here to learn more.

I know that when I grow older, I will look back at myself and there will be a smile on my face. It’s almost like looking through your old photo album your mom made, filled with snap shots from your childhood: opening your first Christmas present, blowing out your first candle on your birthday, and learning how to ride a bike for the first time. But there will probably be one event in my high-school timeline that will stand out more than the rest.

That event was held on May 10, 2008. The day before that, I spent the night at my friend Mike’s house, along with my other friends; Gilbert, Josh, and Brandon. Our friend A.J was also there, chilling with us in the garage but he couldn’t spend the night. As I sat in Mike’s garage, we started prank calling people and we got our laughter out. Later on that night all of us started getting scary feelings. Gilbert then started telling us stories that were horrifying. When Josh and Brandon were passed out, Mike, Gilbert and I were still up and spooked from Gilbert’s stories. The three of us got only an hour of sleep that night.

Once it struck 6:30AM, I woke up and I also woke Mike and Gilbert up as well. While we awoke, we sat outside because the weather was just gorgeous. After I got ready, we drove to Mike’s grandparents house to pick up his lowering springs for his 240sx, while Josh and Brandon were still passed out at Mike’s. We stopped by a Circle K to get some breakfast and some coffee while we were on our way to Mike’s storage. When we got there, we had to switch vehicles because his 240sx was just not reliable enough for the trip that day. Mike stored his 240sx and started driving the Sentra. Now were finally ready for the day, we headed back to his house to wake the others up.

As we got back, we saw A.J’s car parked in front of Mike’s house. We went inside his house to find Brandon, Josh, and A.J passed out still. The three of us finally decided to wake them up; we had about forty-five minutes before we had to dip set.

When everyone was up and ready to go, we stopped by another Circle K by Mike’s house to get food and drinks for our trip. By now, both of our cars are on the 202 heading to Surprise to meet up with other car enthusiasts. After an hour of listening to The Knife and taking random snap shots in the car, we finally reached our first destination.

The first destination was at a Wal-Mart parking lot in Surprise. When we arrived there, we spotted several cars that seemed to be part of the meet but we were not sure if they were. So we parked in the back of the lot with no other cars around us so the others would know we are part of the meet. Minutes later, some exotic cars started parking near us and the group got bigger as the time flew by. We waited for about two hours out in the blazing sun, then eventually the last car arrived and we were finally on our way to Prescott.

Our first stop was by a gas station in the middle of nowhere. We had to regroup and there were a total of about thirty cars all together. Also, someone handed us a walkie talkie in case we got lost or if anyone spots a cop, they can report it over the radio. Our expedition was very appealing because we took the back roads so we cruised through the mountains and the view was beyond beautiful.

The total time it took to get to Lynx Lake was about four hours from when we got to Surprise. But the ride there was definitely worth it in my opinion. The scene was absolutely relaxing and peaceful. After an hour or two, we had to leave because A.J had to be at work at five and it was about two o’clock when we were leaving. The fun part about this trip was that none of us knew how to get back home so we bought a map and somehow found our way back home.

I believe that memories can last a life time, I just have to be able to create those memories with the ones I enjoy being around with. I can still remember this event like it was yesterday.