The Confined Puppet

Jose - Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Themes: freedom

I’m the human marionette puppet. I’m told what to say, how to say it, what to wear, where to go, who I am, and who I’m supposed to be. Everyday when I fall, I can’t get back up, so I hide my face in shame. I can only allow myself to be controlled. Every mistake made, written on my face in clear view for all to see. Is there anyone out there who can set me free?

Everyone deserves freedom, whether it’s the man who stole your car, the beggar at the mini-mart, the girl shamed and haunted by her mother’s demise, or the police officer who gave you a ticket.

Can you hear the sweet serenade of freedom? I believe that someday, I will, and I believe that freedom will break the rules that confine me and set me free.

I’m sure that most people have heard the saying “Freedom is a privilege.” Well in my world as an eleven year old, it is a privilege and only a privilege. If you ask me, freedom isn’t a privilege, it’s a right. And I know that there is someone out there who feels the same way. They feel that whoever pulls their strings, whether it be their family, or their friends, they, just like me, feel that when they’re told to jump, they have to say “How high?” That is not right. I believe that freedom will break the rules that confine me and set me free. How free, like a bird ready to spread its wings.

Sometimes I feel like I’m confined to this place of utter despair, as if nothing holds the key to freedom. No matter how hard I try, I can’t break the strings that pull me back into my sorrow. I look at my bindings and I can see freedom gradually unlocking my shackles that pull me into confinement.

Freedom will break the rules that bind. Is that a bad thing? No, it means that with freedom, you can help the man who stole your car to understand that you bought it with hard earned money. With freedom, you can help the beggar who asked you for money to live a happy, healthy life. With freedom, you can help the girl shamed and haunted to forget the past and focus on the future. With freedom, you can even thank the police officer for teaching you a life philosophy.

Everyone deserves freedom. May freedom break the strings that confine you and set you free, just as it has with me. This I believe.