Daddy and I

Kandis - Pflugerville, Texas

Daddy and I

It all stared when I was four. My parents had just gotten a divorced. It was a dark and humid night. My dad held me tight in his arms, while my mom sat in the stands. We were at my brother’s baseball game. My brother’s team had just won. All you could hear were parents cheering on their kids, like they had won the World Series.

Suddenly, my mom screamed out “Kandis come here! It’s time to go.” I wanted to stay with my dad, not knowing when I would see him next. I kicked and screamed. By looking at my mom’s face, I could see it, jealousy. I’m sure she wouldn’t understand why I had wanted my dad and not her. I began crying furiously as my mom came closer and closer, to come retrieve me. As my mom took me in her hands my dad whispered in my ear “I love you. Everything will be ok.”

From that day on my dad and I have become very close. I know my dad will always be there for me, but it’s still not the same as every other daddy and daughter relationship. When your best friend says “Today after school I am playing basketball with my dad.” Or “my dad tucked me into bed last night.” That feeling is like a knife being stabbed in one’s heart. Knowing how I don’t have a dad to come home to.

I believe it is important to have a dad. To talk to when you are confused, and talk about things you wouldn’t talk about with your mom. To play sports with, to watch sports with, but most importantly to love you.

My dad and I are really close. My dad and I have had many tough moments. In those tough moments we usually end up crying. I can always go to my dad, and he can always come to me. Even though I don’t get to spend as much time with my dad as I do my mom, the moments with him are always a blast. I am daddy’s little girl.