What do you expect?

Robin - Auburn, Washington

I believe that people judge and expect too much; People expect that there will always be food on the table that night, People expect students to get good grades for their own futures, People expect students to not only go to collage but for their parents to have the money to send them to collage. People judge that just because I missed a day of school that I am a slacker and just skipped, People judge that kids and students in high school never have any big problems; the only bad thing that can happen to them is to get pregnant. Even though this is a bad thing there can be worse in a teenager’s life.

I am 16 years old and I take care of my family. I come from a long line of failures and alcoholics, all the way back for at least four generations (on both sides) this is my ancestry. Never in this article will you hear me say I hate my family, I love my family with my entire heart but my goal in life is to never be anything like them at any time.

This addiction is not always like the movies make it out to be. My dad doesn’t beat on my mom and me, he just lays on the sofa and cries because he knows that he has become like his father, that he never wanted to be like. They still go to work but the days that they go drop lower every month. They say they tried to block me from their addictions but I know now that they were blocking it from themselves.

They blame the economy, I blame their parents. Life at home for me is expected to be life in the clouds, with flying ponies and all the time in the world for my future. When realistically life it self doesn’t work that way. I don’t have all the time in the world to study for my future, to do my homework, or to stay after school for activities that may help me get into a collage with the play money to pay for it. Sometimes I have to stay home to take care of my parents and that means missing school.

Just because my parents were alcoholics and their parents and so on people expect me to be one when I grow up also. What my parents and my grandparents have gone though, with dieses and failures because of their addiction is sad. I watch them cry daily I hate seeing them cry because they know and they also expect me to be the same, but what they don’t know is that I will be different than them and I will succeed in breaking the family chain.