Never To Old To Have Fun

Keegan - Ft. Collins, Colorado
Themes: carpe diem

My grandma passed away on October 29, 2007 when I was 14 years old. Most people knew her as a person who loved to have fun, and never excluded anyone. She is why I believe you are never too old to have fun.

My grandma lived in Traverse City, a small town up by the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. She and I were very connected and when we were together you couldn’t separate us. She always came to my hockey games and cheered me on. She was the biggest fan I have ever had. She was the kind of person you could sit down with and talk for hours about stories and life experiences. She was old, but boy did she know how to have fun. Even after she was diagnosed with Parkinson’s she rode jet skis, swam and loved to laugh. She is the reason why I believe you are never too old to have fun.

Whenever she had the chance, she made a new person a part of her family. She never left anyone out and she had endless amounts of fun with everyone. On any given night, you wouldn’t know how many people were coming for dinner or how much food to cook. Let me tell you she knew how to throw a great party. Her house was a small house right on a beach on Lake Michigan. Although her house was small, she would have 50 to 60 people for a single meal. She made everyone smile and laugh, her personality was indescribable. This is why I believe you are never too old to have fun.

At her funeral on that cold windy November morning they handed out cards with a picture of her and my grandpa on the cover. Right below the picture it said “In memory of Nancy Lou Patterson never to old to have fun.” At her funeral, my dad gave a speech in front of all of our family and friends and said “Nancy wouldn’t want us to be mourning over her death she would want us to be smiling and having a good time.”

My grandma never thought about herself, she always thought about what everyone else needed. She made my life amazing and fun. If you asked anyone who knew her, they would all say the same thing “She was the funniest person I have ever met. My grandma was a lot of people’s role model. No matter how bad she had it, she was happy and made life fun. This made her an inspiration for many. This is why I believe that you are never too old to have fun.