A Woman’s Best Friend

Elisa - Ontario, California

Good friends are hard to find. But, it was not hard for me to find a good friend in my dog Petey. My dog Petey has given me the chance to realize that anyone can be a good friend, even though it might be a pet. Petey is a hefty twenty pounds, covered in a shade of white, ears like a bat, with a black spot around each eye. His face is flat, so when he is over excited, it is hard for him to breathe. But most of the time I do not notice this because to me he is not a dog; he is my best friend. In the past five years, Petey has been as good a friend as any human could be. Numerous times Petey has been there when others have not. He is friend that will not judge me for who I am and cheers me up when I have have awful days.

After graduating high school, two of my close friends moved away to college. Even though we communicated though the phone, it was not the same. I needed someone physically there for me. This was especially true after hearing from my parents that we could no longer afford where we were living and that we were being evicted. Furthermore, we had a week to find a new place to live. I knew we had lived with finical hard-ship but had no idea that my parents were hiding this terrible ordeal from me.

The first thing I did after hearing the upsetting news, I had called my friends. But, they were nowhere to be found. I went to my room and closed the door. A few seconds later I heard scratching and crying outside my bedroom. I had opened the door and Petey was standing there with his favorite chew toy. It was at that moment that I realized that I was not alone and that Petey will always be there for me. Petey’s actions would seem meaningless to people, but he cheered me up that day and many times after.

When you mention the word friend most people think of another human being. However, a friend is someone who is always there for you and makes you feel better. Petey has done exactly that. That is why I believe my dog is just as a valuable friend as any human being.